Street Market, Kiev, Ukraine, September 10, 2011

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Candy

I found the 'pets' in the sidebar on someone else's blog.

I know it's silly - but I enjoy 'playing' with them. If you haven't tried it, click on the hamster and click on the 'more' button. Same with the cat.

he he he he he

The hamster is Candy, named after the first hamster we had when my kids were little. He's about the same color as our Candy was, only Candy was actually beige and white. Candy was named by my son, Peter, who brought him home if I remember correctly, much to our suprise. "Look what I got from ....!!!"

Candy eventually had a mate and they produced several other little hamsters, which Peter gave away. Except for the two we kept.

We moved up into the mountains. One day Candy disappeared. I figured - we have 3 cats, Candy is a goner. And he was. Candy was gone for months. We had forgotten about Candy, really.

We lived in a very large house at that time. One day I was in the basement, sitting at the desk working on the computer. I felt something run over my foot and immediately thought, "oh no, we've got another field mouse that's come in from the cold. Where are those cats??!!" (Our cats were raised from birth to that point as indoor only cats - they really had no idea what to do with a mouse, other than watch it run around like crazy until we caught it and threw it back outside.)

I looked down, under the desk, and there sat Candy. I was shocked. Hamsters only live to be about 3 years old and he was way past that by then. I picked him up. Poor little guy had a bald nose and was rather wobbly, but otherwise in great shape. He lived for several more weeks - in his old cage, well fed and watered and loved again.

No comments: