A spider has been living in our shower room for the past few months. I leave it alone because it's a Daddy Longlegs type spider and it eats ants and mosquitos. It has lived a long spider life up in the corner above the shower.
Now I do not like spiders, but this spider has done nothing to bother me. In fact, I like what I see in it's web - dead ants. We have an ant problem. The whole building has an ant problem. I've written about his before - old news, I know.
This morning, however, Spider had built it's web down to connect to the shower head. The shower head is the kind you can take down and move around. Mel took it down to rinse out the tub before he got in for his shower. That's when he found out Spider had a one-strand connection to the shower head. Down came Spider and down the drain Spider went.
Does this sound like a children's song to you? It does to me.
Mel told me Spider was gone by reminding me of a Twilight Zone episode I'd watched many, many years ago and had told him about many years ago.
The episode where the woman washes a spider down the drain and it keeps coming back up and out of the drain, bigger and bigger, until she thinks she's finally washed it completely away. She leaves the sink, goes into the other room and there is the spider, as big as the room practically, waiting for her.
Gave me nightmares for years.
So - guess what I kept thinking about as I took my own shower this morning?
I refrained from checking the drain over and over again, but kept praying I wouldn't feel something crawling over my foot and up my ankle.....
And on that happy note :) as soon as I finish this I will be leaving to go interview - I hope - a new interpreter.
I asked Olya K. if she knew someone at the institute she is attending and she said she'd ask around. I need one to help me when I teach.
She called me yesterday afternoon and said she'd told a few of the girls I was looking for someone, but the were "afraid." Afraid of what? Well, afraid of me, of the church, what they might have to translate I guess.
You know something? I say - Good Girls!!! People need to be more careful! There is so much garbage being taught here in Ukraine, all under the name of Christianity. People NEED to be more careful in what they listen to, in what they are involved with.
One of the girls later told Olya that she would like to meet me, but not at the church. I said great, I'd like to interview her.
What is her name?
I don't know.
You don't know her name?????
No. (and then a funny little laugh)
Ohhh-kaaaay. How old is she?
I don't know.
Ohhh-kaaaay. What does she look like?
And I got a very short description that could be half of the young women I see on the street each day.
So I agreed to meet her at a local pizza place, talk with her, and if she is agreeable, then we'll walk over to where the church currently meets so I can show her how to get there.
I'm going to go meet someone that I don't know, I don't know her name, I don't really know what she looks like, but I'm going to meet her.
This could be very interesting.
I love my life.
2 comments:
oooooooo that horrible Twilight Zone with the spider! I still have nightmares about that one!!!!!!!!!!!
I like your spider story. . . though not the potentially-creepy-ending. The boys were convinced that we brought ants back from Ukraine in our luggage, because we had very similar sugar ants here. Maybe we did -- but Florida has enough creepy crawlies of its own without importing them from Ukraine.
How did the meet up with the translator go?
Post a Comment