Street Market, Kiev, Ukraine, September 10, 2011

Monday, December 15, 2008

From the Balcony This Morning

We have such a lovely view - NOT. :)

I was reading the news this morning on the internet and Mel said, "Look out the window." So, I stood up and looked out the window. We never know what we are going to see out there by the trash, or in the trash. It has been an interesting view many, many times. It is usually trash, but sometimes there is a person out there who is 'interesting' and other times it is a dog or cat.

Today it was this: Which in a closer view is this: Which even closer is this:

Why do I find this interesting?
I don't know exactly.
But it is different. And it does make me wonder. I wonder who put it out there? Where did they have it in their flat? What was it for? Why did they get rid of it?

If only that girl-thing could talk, I bet she'd have some interesting things to say.

I wonder who will pick it up and take it home - stuff put on the shelf there has usually been set there in case someone wants to 'recycle' it. We have put old shoes and used clothing there. Usually whatever is there gets taken within a few minutes.

As I look out now, Dolly still sits there waiting, but the other stuff is mostly gone. That is due to the woman who cleans up out in front of our building. She was hired to sweep up the leaves, clean up the trash area every day after the truck comes, and just the other day I saw her with pruning pliers of some sort, trimming back branches and shoots that had sprouted around some of the bushes. She keeps our building's 'yard' looking much better than most. I appreciate her a lot. She has a mostly thankless job, sometimes a dangerous job (handling all that garbage without a mask or special gloves). (The dolly is just out of sight in these last two photos. :) :) )

2 comments:

Olya said...

You do know who the Dolly is, right? She is Father Frost's granddaughter, the Snowgirl (or whatever you call her in English, I am not sure) They always come together to the kids' New Years parties. Well, actually she comes first and than helps the kids call for Father Frost. They put her under the Tree with Father Frost. Somebody must have gotten a new one this year and put the old one on the 'shelf' for whoever wants it :) :)

ColoradoColumbine said...

I wondered if that's who she was. Usually when we see her she is dressed in pale blue, so I wasn't sure. Mel and I call her Snow Maiden - I'm not sure what the exact translation would be, but Snow Girl or Snow Maiden (a bit more poetic in English) either one would work, I think. Thanks, Olya! You have taught me something I did not know about a custom here - putting her under the New Year Tree with Father Frost. :)