There are a few little flakes falling again today, but the sun is almost shining through the clouds.
Very unusual winter.
Tuesday I had a headache all day. Woke up very early due to the pain and took a couple ibuprofen. Got up at my regular time, which is quite late for most people but I stay up quite late for most people. The headache was still there. Coffee didn't help. I putzed around for most of the morning, trying to 'live through it' until it was gone. Finally, around 2 I called my tutor and canceled my Russian class. Mel went to his session meeting and I went to bed.
I set the computer up near the bed and listened to a couple sermons by a couple different preachers. I didn't want to waste the whole day with nothing accomplished - ha ha. The first one I was not impressed with - kind of a whiny voice and poorish delivery. The second man I found out about during an internet search on Reformed positions on Last Days. He's a pastor in Pennsylvania with a Reformed Presbyterian Church of some kind (don't remember the exact name of the denomination). I've listened to several of his sermons over the past month and really like him.
Unfortunately, I fell asleep during his sermon on Psalm 104. ha ha ha ha I've never done that before. Fallen asleep during a sermon. Well, not since I was quite small anyway! I need to relisten to it because what I did hear was very good. I'm an 'old earth' person and he is 'new earth' from what I heard, but that's ok with me. I won't argue with him. I don't want to argue with anyone about it. :) :) My head is still 'tender'.
It's been quite awhile since I've had a headache like that. They really wipe me out.
The really, really bad thing about it?
It was sunny the whole day.
Beautiful, wonderful sunshine and blue sky.
I was sick and in bed.
Bummer.
I missed most of it. :(
Mel and I went down to a local coffee shop yesterday and had coffee and croissants filled with melted chocolate. More specifically - he had coffee and I had cocoa. Both the drinks and the food were really good.
I'm so glad we have a place like this here now. No smoking. Soft music. Small. Comfortable. Welcoming. Good food (ok, not 'good for you' food, but tasty!). Good coffee and cocoa.
We had a purpose for going. I needed to talk. I needed to talk to someone who would listen to me and not judge me, not be intimidated by me, not brush me off. I need to be able to talk to someone like this because I think so much about various things. I am well aware that when thinking by myself I can miss out on variables that need to be added, or taken away, to/from the process or the thought line gets skewed and the end conclusion is way off base. Or not. I need to be able to bounce the ideas and thoughts off someone who will listen in love and not fear or judgement but is willing to engage in dialog for the sake of thinking, processing, possibly coming to a conclusion.
Mel does that for me.
I'm so glad.
I need him. He's very smart.
:) :) :)
After talking for about 2 hours or more, I felt like a burden had been lifted off my mind and shoulders.
I love that man so much.
We finally found a way to watch American television shows. Jamie sent us a website address and last night I downloaded the pilot for "House." We've never seen House, so I hope it's good. It took almost 3 hours to download it.
I worked on getting the Sunday School craft ready for the kids while it downloaded. Mel watched a snooker championship in Wales via EuroSport. He had the sound turned off for most of it (it's all in Russian and although we understand a lot of what the guy says, he sounds like he gargles with rocks every morning and smokes 4 packs a day).
Tonight, after our dinner guests leave, we will watch either another episode of 'Bones' or this pilot of 'House'. I ordered the second season of Bones from amazon.com. It's good, but not as good as the first season. Way too much sexual stuff. Sigh.
Wow - we've made it into the modern world!
The crisis here in Ukraine continues. We got a call yesterday warning us that the power company was turning the electricity off at the water company because the water company has not paid their electric bill in who knows how long. So - store up a bunch of water!
Rumors. They abound every where right now.
We still have water, but we have a bunch of water stored. 3 six liter bottles, the teapot, the coffee pot (after the morning coffee is gone, of course!) and another tea kettle are all full. The 50 liter barrel of water, plus 2 or 3 six liter bottles of water for using to flush the toilet - all are full. The fish tanks are - well, I need to add water again, will do that when I finish this post!
So far, we still have our normal water. But! Who knows? It may be just a rumor, or it may be a threat that was designed to get one government agency to pay their bill to another government agency. Or - the water may go off. Only time will tell.
Rumors. They are every where.
The exchange rate is still fluctuating all over the place. Officially it is still 7.7 at the national bank, according to the little ticker at the bottom of the news broadcast. In reality, it goes from 8 to 9, back and forth. Some are forecasting that it will go up to around 15 this year.
Not good for Ukraine, great for we who use dollars. However, as the exchange rate goes up, prices are also going up. The exchange rate yesterday afternoon was 1$ = 8.5 grivnya.
All for now. There is actual sun shining through the window and I want to go stand in it awhile!!
No comments:
Post a Comment