Street Market, Kiev, Ukraine, September 10, 2011

Monday, February 09, 2009

A Walk in the Sunshine

Mel and I went out to eat lunch today on our 'day off.' We walked over to the bigger bus stop and caught a trolleybus down to the city center and went to one of our favorite places, Джон Гоуард Пуб, otherwise known as "John Howard Pub." I had chicken fingers and shared his fries. He had what we might call an open face grilled cheese and salami sandwich. Espresso coffee with creamer for dessert. Yummy! This is a photo taken just a few meters down the street, looking away from John Howard Pub.

Our main goal in going out today was to go over to the church building site and see what has happened in the last week. We decided to walk, and I am so glad we did! We turned down the next side street and walked for a total of close to 6 kilometers or 3.7 miles. The sun was shining on our backs and it felt so good. I realized after the first block that I have never walked down that particular street before. Here is one house we saw that caught my interest. Can you see why? :) :)

By the way - check out that sky! That wonderful, blue blue blue sky!!

Not too far from that first house we turned a corner and saw this house.What a contrast! I'm sorry, but this house made us laugh. We saw a lot of new houses today, but none more ... actually, I'm at a loss for words on this one. Just do a visual comparison of the two houses and you come up with a word! Mel thought maybe he'd write to the guys on our greater Ukraine team, include this photo and say something along the lines of "Hey! The roof is now on the church!" In reality, this is a private residence. We don't know whose.

Here is a quiet little side street. I like the way this street and the houses look. Very Eastern European.

Finally, we got to the church. And here is how it looked while we were there this afternoon:I mentioned the alcove window in a previous post - this is what I meant about how the super thick walls block out a lot of the light an alcove should provide - I'm glad the alcove is as wide as it is or the actual window would not be very big!

Here are two pictures of the area around the church. The first is across a street and in 'front' of the main entrance of the church, and the second is directly behind the church, on the side street.I really like the fence in front of this house (click to see the photo bigger).

From there Mel and I walked back to the main street and caught a trolleybus home. Oh my. Our trolleybus doesn't come as often as the others and it was full. By the time we got to our stop it was not full any more. No, it was not full - it was packed to overflowing. Push, shove, push, elbow in the kidney, stomp on the foot full. I was so glad to get off of it!

But, once again - note the blue sky in these photos. Wonderful, beautiful, amazing clean and clear blue sky. And sunshine. Joy!

No comments: