Street Market, Kiev, Ukraine, September 10, 2011

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Why Me??

So, tell me - WHY is it ALWAYS me who is in the shower when the water goes off, or the pressure gets really, really low? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Mel took a shower today around noon. I got in soon after he was finished. Shampooed my hair, rinsed it, covered it in conditioner, lathered up the rest of me with a nice grapefruit scented shower gel and - poof! Water went down to a suddenly scalding trickle in about 3 seconds.

I yelled. Mel yelled back from the living room. I yelled again, almost in a panic. (Bet we sounded great to the neighbors.) He went running into the kitchen and turned off the kalunka (water heater). I'd already turned off the shower nozel and the water was trickling out the faucet. I was standing as far away from it all as I could, afraid I was going to get burned.

Suddenly the pressure came back up, the water went from scalding to ice cold in about 3 seconds. Mel turned the kalunka back on and I very, very, very quickly finished my shower while he stood there and watched the kalunka 'just in case'. (The kalunka is not all that entertaining to watch, believe me!)

I love being in the States where showers are normal. Where water pressure is constant (well, it does vary a bit at my parents due to the pump and well). Where I have never, ever, never had the water suddenly turn to steam or scalding water in the middle of a shower. I love showers in America.

I'm dreaming of a long, hot American shower.......

No comments: