Street Market, Kiev, Ukraine, September 10, 2011

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Seeing Double

I had my surgery this morning. I think that all went well. It was quite an experience, all in all. My blood pressure was 162/126 when the nurse first checked it. Is that possible, she asked. I realized my whole arm was stiff and my hand was clenched tight. I told her that and after a few minutes the automatic cuff checked it again and it was much lower. Still too high, but not that high! :) The anesethetist (what are those people called, anyway?) came in and gave me something to relax me and finally my bp went down into the 'normal' range. I went down into the 'la la' range. :) :)

I remember the two doctors working on my eye, I remember a bit of what was said but nothing specific. That's the wonder of drugs for you. I couldn't move my head at all, my eye was 'blocked' and couldn't move, I couldn't feel a thing and I felt 'just fine, thank you.' It's not my favorite thing to do in the world, but it's not the worst experience I've ever had either.

Now - now if I can just get the two eyes to work together...well, that would be wonderful. At the moment, several hours after the surgery, my right eye is looking down and to the right of the left eye, and the view is slanted to the right as well. In other words, instead of a straight across line, it's a pointing down to the right line. And that view is covered in a smear of white as well, like I have vaseline or something on my eye still. I'm sure the smear is due to left over stuff they put on it. I'm hoping that the right down tilt is due to the paralyzing meds they put in the eye and that eventually it will move on up and join with it's compatriot and I won't be seeing double any more. I still don't have 100% vision in the right eye, but I knew that would be the case. It's almost sa if I have a contact in, but the center of everything will always be distorted due to the tear and repair of the macula all those many years ago now.

So, here I sit, more than a bit dizzy from seeing two of everything. I put the eye patch back on and that seems to help. It's a clear plastic shield, with several 'breathing' holes in it, taped to my face with opaque medical tape. I'll put drops in my eyes again tonight and wear the shield to bed each night for a week.

It all makes me feel really tired on top of being slightly dizzy. I'm glad we're staying at the motel again tonight. I can sleep whenever I want.

I have an eye appointment tomorrow and will find out then how everything is going.

I'm still nervous - I hope the double vision and the slanted vision is "normal."

No comments: