The modem for my internet is still not working, so I'm using Mel's again. Mel will take the computer, modem, CD needed to download the program and everything down to peoplenet tomorrow and see if we can get it straightened out. Very frustrating. We have a lot more time bought on my account than on his, and when his time is out the renewal cost for a month is a lot more expensive. I have to learn to be conservative with my internet time! I want to download three or four more programs that I lost when the old laptop died, but that will have to wait for now.
I've been trying to go back through my email account and check out several articles that came in while we were in Colorado. I was never able to read them, or in many cases never even opened the email they came in.
Yesterday on the news Mel saw that there had been 5 tornadoes in the Denver area. Today in my Earth Observatory newsletter there is a link to a satellite view of the storm, here: Tornadoes in Northeastern Colorado. At the bottom of the article are several links in the references. I clicked on Doesken, N.J., Pielke, Sr., R.A., Bliss, O.A.P. (2003, January). Climate of Colorado. Colorado Climate Center. Colorado State University. Accessed June 8, 2009. It is an interesting read, if you are interested in the climate of Colorado. :) I am. Go figure. I didn't learn anything particularly new, although I think the information would surprise a lot of people who have preconceived ideas about Colorado. No, that's not quite true - I did learn something new that was mentioned in both the EO article and the second one - Colorado has more hail than any other state. I knew we had a lot of hail, but didn't know that fact.
I know part of the reason I am the way I am is because I was raised in a state that has a great deal of variety. Variety in terrain, variety in weather, variety from hour to hour. Always changing, never quite the same from one hour to the next, one day to the next, one month to the next, one year to the next.
I like variety.
I would be really bored if I lived in Phoenix. heh heh heh
Mel and I went shopping this morning and I bought some basic groceries. There is a pork loin roast in the crock-pot now, stuffed with slivered garlic. It smells really good. I didn't check - will have to see if there is any rice left. If not, then we'll have a pasta salad with it tonight.
I am really low on potassium or something because I've been having really bad leg cramps. About an hour ago I got one of the dreaded belly muscle cramps. It's been a long time since I had one of those. Fortunately Mel was still here. He got me the pickle juice and I drank about half a cup. Then I drank about half a liter of water. I'm not sure what pickle juice does, but it works for me (and for my family). Usually the cramp goes away within seconds after drinking it. Maybe it's the shock of all that vinegar and salt when it hits the stomach? :) :) Whatever, the pickle juice is not as acidic here as it is in the States and it takes a bit longer to work, but eventually it does. Mel bought pickles for me yesterday "just in case". I'm so glad he did!
I'm looking around the flat to see what needs to be done in case we have to leave the beginning of September. We've lived for over 10 years with the knowledge that at any time Ukraine may decide we need to go. Or that there might be a disaster of some kind that would mean we need to leave in a hurry. I've become quite comfortable in this flat, small as it is, but I need to remember that we are not here permanently. No one on our team is, no matter which city we are in, no matter if we happen to own our flat/house or simply rent. We are foreigners and strangers in the land - a very Biblical way to live, actually. But still not always comfortable. It does give a different perspective on 'stuff', however. We accumulate so much 'stuff' and we have our favorite possessions. They become much less important, though, in the light of eternity - or even in the light of 'how much can we carry in two suitcases?' :) :) :)
Some of our team think that nothing is going to happen. Some of our team are already experiencing changes and may have to move from their city. All of our team are praying and waiting to see what God is doing. It's a very secure way to live - resting in the knowledge that God is in control of all of this. I'll write about it more, though, not because I'm scared or upset or insecure, but because it's part of life and what we deal with. Ignoring it, or making too light of it is foolish, as is making too much of it or dwelling on it. As is so often in life - balance is needed. And simply being prepared for whatever.
All for now. I'm tired and am going to go. My eye gets tired and starts to water when I'm on the computer too much or read too much (ei yi yi!!!!) so I'm going to have to learn to vary my day more. A little bit of this, a little bit of that - until they eye is totally healed.
I hope and pray that next time we go home there will be NO MORE surgeries of any kind!!
No comments:
Post a Comment