Street Market, Kiev, Ukraine, September 10, 2011

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Tell Me The Old Old Story

I've been listening to more sermons by Arturo Azurdia. Sometimes I listen in the wee hours of the morning when I can't sleep. I'll sit down at my desk in the dark and turn on the computer, put on my headphone, start a game that doesn't require thinking and listen to a sermon. Other times I'll put a sermon on while doing the ironing, or some other chore that doesn't require a lot of thinking to get it done.

I finished a short series on Joseph a couple nights ago. Last night I started a series on Ruth. I've always really liked both of these stories in the Bible. Genesis is my favorite book of the Bible, and the story of Joseph is my favorite Biblical story.

Part of the reason I like these two stories, along with the stories of Rahab, Esther and Daniel, are because of the historical settings. Ancient Egypt, the Conquest of Canaan, the Time of the Judges, and so forth. So very little is known historically about these time periods. Yes, we have pyramids and Egyptian tombs and stuff, but really truly - we know very little about the people and how they lived. These Bible stories give us glimpses into those lives and times.

I admit that I have spent more time thinking about Rahab than Ruth, and more time thinking about Joseph than Esther. Way back in my personal 'ancient history', when we lived in Woodland Park and the kids were little, I read an historical novel about Joseph. It was very well written. I would love to get a copy of it now - that one was from the library. I tried looking on-line today but had no success. I think it was written in the 1970's, but I'm not sure. Next time we are home I'll try to get to a used book store and see what I can find, if anything.

While reading the Bible stories, and now while listening to these excellent sermons, I try to imagine myself 'there'. I try to imagine the heat, the wearing the clothing, the smells and sounds around me. I try to imagine cooking and washing clothes, listening to music and the bable of voices which would surround me. I try to imagine modes of transportation (animal and non-animal), buildings and plants and animals and birds. I try to capture the reality of then by the reality of now and what we do know.

So many people read the Bible and all they see is theology, dry and dusty. Commandments and rules for living. Do this - don't do that or God will get you. The Bible becomes almost an enemy, there only to point out what you do wrong, what you need to change, how you need to think and how you will never really succeed at any of it because, let's face it - NO ONE is that good and perfect. Except God, of course.

But if we read the stories and we see the people where they lived and how they lived and what they did and said and how they thought. And then we see what God has said and done in all of those circumstances...well, the Bible is no longer our enemy! In fact, it becomes our true Friend, showing us the way to God and revealing to us who God truly is. Through the lives of real people who lived real lives in real places at real times in history. We don't have every minute detail of their lives, but we have what is needed to teach us, to be examples for us.

Oh, it would be wonderful to know if Joseph loved his wife - but we don't know that! We only know that Pharoah gave him a wife. It would be interesting to know how Daniel spent his days - who did he meet in his line of work? What did he do all day? Did he travel anywhere? It would be nice to have some conversations recorded between Ruth and Boaz after the scene at the threshing place. I would love to know how the Israelite women treated Rahab and how she handled culture shock after the distruction of every single person she knew in Jericho (aside from family that was saved with her). I am very interested to know if Ruth lived long enough to see her grandson (or was it great-grandson?) David.

We don't know any of these things, really.

But we do know a bit about each of these people and that information is enough to give us a clue as to how it might have been for each of them. Some day, in heaven, we will be able to ask each of them questions and find out, if we still want to do so. :)

For now, I love to read the Old Testament, to think about the people and their reality. I love to see how God worked in their lives - and then look at my own and see where and how He is also working in mine.

I am so glad I belong to Him!

Sermons can be found here: Spirit Empowered Preaching

~*~*~*~

I Love to Tell the Story
Text: Katherine Hankey, 1834-1911
Music: William G. Fischer, 1835-1912
Tune: HANKEY, Meter: 76.76 D with Refrain

1. I love to tell the story
of unseen things above,
of Jesus and his glory,
of Jesus and his love.
I love to tell the story,
because I know 'tis true;
it satisfies my longings
as nothing else can do.
Refrain:
I love to tell the story,
'twill be my theme in glory,
to tell the old, old story
of Jesus and his love.

2. I love to tell the story;
more wonderful it seems
than all the golden fancies
of all our golden dreams.
I love to tell the story,
it did so much for me;
and that is just the reason
I tell it now to thee.
(Refrain)

3. I love to tell the story;
'tis pleasant to repeat
what seems, each time I tell it,
more wonderfully sweet.
I love to tell the story,
for some have never heard
the message of salvation
from God's own holy Word.
(Refrain)

4. I love to tell the story,
for those who know it best
seem hungering and thirsting
to hear it like the rest.
And when, in scenes of glory,
I sing the new, new song,
'twill be the old, old story
that I have loved so long.
(Refrain)

No comments: