(Not my photos - all of my Egypt photo are paper and currently in the States in storage. Click this photo for copyright info. Following photos are from tour agencies.)And we visited the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities for about 2 hours. TWO HOURS! Barely enough time to get our feet in the door. I think a person could spend 2 years in there and never see it all. It is an amazing place.


We did see King Tut stuff.
And a whole bunch of stuff that is just a blur in my mind. It was much better when we took the tour to Luxor and I got to spend 2 or 3 hours in the Temple of Luxor (Mel was ill with a 24 hour virus and at the hotel, but we came back the next day together). And the temple of Karnak. Oh my! Karnak was amazing, simply amazing. I wish I'd been able to stay there for several hours and just wander around.
There was so much to see and to learn in Egypt. We crossed the Nile and saw the temple of Hapshepsut
and we even visited the Valley of the Kings and went into a few tombs. 
All of these things were in the back of my mind last night while I was reading about what is happening in Egypt right now. Sometime, either when I went in and rested for a few minutes (I am sick with a very nasty headcold) or later after we went to bed - I don't remember, time is rather vague in my head - I wondered about the museum there in Cairo and all of the fire-bombing and destruction that is going on. And in my mind I clearly saw people (men) lined up in front of the museum, keeping protestors and vandals from getting into and damaging artifacts or destroying the history that is there. I saw this clearly - and felt peaceful afterward.
Imagine my shock this afternoon when checking out EuroNews I came across this headline:
Egyptians form human shield to protect museum
One Cairo building that has been spared so far in the anti-government protests is the Egyptian Museum, despite a fire raging at the ruling National Democratic Party office nearby.
Locals were determined to protect national treasures.
“We are Egyptians and this is the Egyptian Museum,” said one man.
“We are standing here and calling for the army to come as soon as possible and we will not leave until the army arrives.”
The museum houses pharaonic treasures including the death mask of Tutankhamun.
The walls of the building were daubed with grafitti reading “down with the dog Mubarak.”
Copyright © 2011 euronews
You know, God is good to me in so many ways. Ways that I usually just take for granted. But here is an example. I was concerned about that museum and what it contains and the civil unrest that is going on all around it (remembering what happened in Baghdad) and God gave me a picture in my mind of what was really happening, and a sense of peace along with it.
Thank you, Father!
No comments:
Post a Comment