Street Market, Kiev, Ukraine, September 10, 2011

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

On the Loom

An overwhelming urge to pray for California this afternoon. Almost an overwhelming feeling of sadness accompanies that urge.

~&~&~&~&~

I've started weaving again. Feels good. The scarf I'm making is almost finished. It's supposed to be for me - but I never wear scarves so I may give it away. Well, almost never. When it's -20 F outside I wear a scarf over my mouth.

Nina Upstairs chewed me out for not wear a hat the other day. You would think that after 12 years she would know I don't wear hats unless it's -20 F outside. :-) Ha ha! Actually, I do wear them when it gets well below freezing - around 10 F or so. If I wear them before that, I just sweat in my coat and that's the fastest way to freeze to death. I lived in Alaska, I know these things. (laughing to myself at the abserdity of it all)

~&~&~&~&~

Yes, I've been working on my scarf. It's basic color is black. I'm using 3 skeins - 1 black, 1 varigated black, white and gray, and 1 red. The basic pattern is 5,5,1,5,5,repeat with red being the 1. Because of the verigated skein, some squares end up being larger and totally black, while others end up being 10 black with white/gray on either side. I'll post a photo(s) when I finish. Actually, I'm almost finished, so it might just be in a few hours or a couple days.

I have plans already for the next scarf. I want to try a different weave, not just the simple over under over under, but something different. Along with the loom, Sue bought a book of different weaves you can do on this kind of loom (thank you, thank you, thank you, Sue!!). I'm excited to start trying them out.

What is so wonderful about weaving is that it goes so fast with this size and kind of yarn. I can do several inches in just a few minutes.

Meanwhile, I did start the embroidered blanket and have finished the top left corner already. Like I may have mentioned before, it's a simple pattern and not nearly as detailed as the last blanket I did. I am hoping to have it finished by summer, God willing.

I've got several other projects started and/or in mind as well. I could just keep myself busy for the next year even if I don't do any housework or ministry type things! haha! I'd also end up twice as fat as I already am. So I'm trying to get up and move around many times a day, plus do a set of toning exercises. And as the weather gets better, I'll start walking again. We'll see how it all turns out.

No comments: