I finally finished the latest scarf. Of course it is too warm now to wear it, but that's ok. I like it. I like it a lot. I will keep this one for my own.

The color name is "Lipstick". I kind of remember buying this yarn. The name turned me off, otherwise I probably would have bought at least one more skein. Isn't that silly? To not buy something I like because it has a name I don't like and no one would ever in a million years come up to me and say, "Wow! I love/hate your Lipstick color scarf!" I haven't bought lipstick in close to 40 years - I just don't wear any make-up at all. The more I worked with this scarf, though, and watched the pattern develop - oh my! I
love the color red here - almost a magenta in it's lightest area, all the way to an almost black. The camera does not show the depth of color very well at all. It was visually pleasurable to watch the colors change as I wove.

I warped the loom with alternating white and lipstick, making sure the last thread on each side was lipstick. Then I picked up every other white thread on the pickup stick to create the pattern (the last
two threads on the right were lipstick). This caused the backside to have a long white stitch and what appears to be a long black stitch, but really is just 3 strands of weft yarn.

The front - as much as I really do like the back, I love the front. It looks like jewels to me, maybe a scarf of rubys or something. :)

I would love to make something else out of this color and pattern - like a full afghan, or at least a shawl.
Funny thing is - as much as I love creating these things, I never wear this stuff. I never wear scarves - unless it is well below zero F. Well below and I have to walk somewhere or the wind is howling and I have to be outside for awhile. I do NOT like stuff around my neck, never have - turtleneck sweaters, buttoned to the neck blouses, scarves, even necklaces. (Makes me wonder if at some point the cord was wrapped around my neck before I was born?) I do not even like winter scarves wrapped around my neck, or coats buttoned or zipped all the way up. Strangling sensations. Yuck. And shawls only get in the way. I've never understood how you can do anything while wearing a shawl, other than sit quietly and not move. They are always falling down off your shoulders and the ends get into everything you are trying to do. No, I do not understand shawls.
But I would make dozens for someone else! :-)
It's always the process with me, very seldom the finished project.
2 comments:
You are SO GOOD at this! I am so pleased that you are such a talented weaver. You have passed me by with all your beautiful weavings. Keep going, you are really on to something wonderful here. Btw, hooky is a good place to play! ;-) (wink)
Well, Sue, I am NOT the one who has won ribbons at the fair, am I? :-) I have a long way to go, but I am enjoying the journey very much, thanks to you, my dear friend!
Post a Comment