Street Market, Kiev, Ukraine, September 10, 2011

Monday, April 11, 2011

So Far Today...

Here in the "office" room it is 66.4 degrees. In the livingroom it is just 64 degrees. Actually, now that I've started writing, I think I'll go put on a long-sleeved turtle-neck under a different t-shirt. I'm cold. Yes - I am cold. Brrrr. Is this thing on?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Mel and I went over to the church this morning for the annual Spring Cleaning Day. Actually, it's more than that. It's a 'let's clean up again after the last bout of construction work because Easter is coming really, really soon' all church clean-up. (Next 4 photos were taken in January) I chose to wash the banister, all you can see in this photo, plus the part I'm leaning against to take the photo - there is another section this long still going up farther. Hmmmm - that doesn't look right - is there another "n" in there? It also doesn't sound right. Is the whole kit-n-caboodle called a 'bannister'? (Two 'n's don't look right either.) Or is it called a railing. Or is it called 'the thing that keeps little kids and me from falling one, two or three floors down off the stairs on to the basement floor'? Well, whatever the thing is called (my mind is fried), I cleaned a bunch of it today. And believe me - it needed it! I was going to take some photos and I completely spaced it. Sigh. Oh well. Imagine photos here of people dusting the ceiling (yes, they did), cleaning chairs, dusting walls, washing windows and window and door frames, and sorting out this and that, moving this upstairs into storage and taking that downstairs into other storage, and unloading 40 new chairs that the church bought from the church in Nikolaev, and me, standing there on the stairs the whole time with a little blue sponge, washing away dust, grime and plaster that didn't belong there. Well, every two, or at the most 3, series of double grape leaves, I went back down to the basement and washed out the sponge in the sink. "You can't clean something with a dirty rag/sponge and/or dirty water." My mother's voice spoke loudly in my head. Since I did not have a little bucket of clean water, I made lots of trips up and down the stairs. Actually, that is good, because standing in one place for very long makes my back hurt. Here are some photos of the grapes and leaves, taken several weeks ago. Believe it or not, they had been cleaned after these photos were taken, but they were almost this bad again today. It truly is from the continuing construction inside.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It's been very rainy over the past several days. Yesterday we had light hail here, but over where Julia and Jamie live, they had a lot more. It wasn't very big hail, but did turn the ground mostly white over there.

While walking to the church from the bus stop this morning, Mel and I got soaked. It started raining somewhere on the way over (it's raining right now, too, as Mel just pointed out to me) and continued until we got to the church. :) Then it stopped for awhile. Fortunately, it did not rain while we were waiting at our bus stop to get on the trolleybus to go over there - there is just something not very pleasant about being jammed in with a whole bunch of wet people in a 'small, moving jerkily down the street' space. Would be worse with a bunch of wet dogs, of course, but it's still not all that fun. Believe me. I know from experience. (Did you say "DOGS"? Well, of course it would be stinky with dogs!!)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Last night we watched the movie, The Book of Eli. A very dark movie. More than a little violent. I didn't understand parts of it until the end, kind of like how I experienced The Sixth Sense. I like that. Movies and books rarely fool me like that because I usually catch on pretty quick. I guess the movie got mixed reviews, but I liked it. Yes, I did. I told Mel I probably wouldn't watch it again for awhile, and maybe my reaction next time will be totally different. But I liked it this first time. Made me cry - not for the character, but for the Book.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lots of other things on my mind, but I need to run over to Ira's and drop off this pillow that I finally finished last night. If it's not raining.

Oh, and they are going to turn off the water tomorrow for the annual spring cleaning of the pipes, and it won't come back on until Wednesday. Then, as Mel says, we won't need to use bleach in the laundry for a few days due to all the bleach in the water. Actually, I won't wash any clothes at all for a few days due to the bleach in the water. Nor will we drink the water or cook with it, even run through a filter. Probably will shower, but that's it. I might look good as a blonde - who knows? (The red skin would detract, tho, I'm sure)

All for now! "I'm still cold. Think I'll go drape myself over mom's shoulder while she writes on her blog."

No comments: