Street Market, Kiev, Ukraine, September 10, 2011

Thursday, August 30, 2007

I Had Forgotten

...just how much energy it takes to care for little kids. And I've got it easy. :):)

Jamie and Julia are in Vienna where Julia is undergoing medical treatment due to the loss of their unborn child. Their four children stayed here. Melinda is their primary caretaker, spending the nights at their home. This is so much better for the children. They know all of us well enough now that we are no longer 'strangers' to them, and they have lived in this house for several months now, so it is truly 'home.' I go over part of each day so that Melinda can go home and care for her cats, do some shopping and other things she needs to do. It is working well.

The youngest, daughter Paulina, age 22 months, has been ill. Throwing up, diarreah, generally not feeling well at all. She is not running a fever though, for which we praise God. There were phone calls back and forth between Kherson, Kiev and Vienna early today, just to make sure we were doing everything needed to care appropriately for her. The older kids are stressed, but actually doing quite well.

I had forgotten, though, just how much energy it takes to care for children. Oh my! As Melinda and I were saying to each other today, as we were BOTH caring for them at the same time - this is why God gives children to young people. And makes people our age grandparents, aunts and uncles - so we can give the kids back when we are exhausted. heh heh heh

I enjoyed my evening with them today. We ate dinner and then while Polly was picking at her food and drinking some liquids, we sat around her and sang songs. I love working with kids! Love it, love it. And these kids understand me! English! Yipee! I also read story after story after story to the Anna, age 4, today, with Tim, age 5 listening in on occasion. Nadia, age almost 9, is a great reader and read quite awhile by herself. We also played tic-tac-toe, connect the squares, stamping, and "let's clean up all these toys and books." Yesterday we worked on a puzzle and played games. And I have the easiest part :):).

I am thankful for this time with the kids. It is good to get to know them better, spend long times with them, to be able to comfort them is some small way while Mama and Papa are away. They are aware of why their parents are gone right now, and are also grieving in small ways.

Tomorrow - I wonder what we'll do tomorrow afternoon? hmmm.... More songs? :):)

No comments: