Street Market, Kiev, Ukraine, September 10, 2011

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Bits n Pieces

I called my dad on Father's Day to wish him a happy day. Was very good to hear his voice and talk with him. I also talked with my mother. Actually, I talked with her a lot longer than I talked to my dad. :)

While we were talking I mentioned that both my sister, Heidie, and my sister-in-law,Renee, who both live in Fairbanks, told me in recent instant messaging conversations that they had been woken up not long ago by a sharp earthquake jolt. They've also felt a few smaller tremblors, nothing major.

I told my mother that I expected soon they would have a good sized quake up there, or maybe in California. Who knows? I was looking at the earthquake page on the internet while we were talking and I told her that both Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands area and Alaska were having a bunch of small earthquakes - and so was California.

Imagine my smile the next morning when I'm reading the news and I see a headline that the "urban areas" of Alaska had been shaken by a quake. I looked it up. Oh - that wasn't all that big - just a 5.3. I've been in quakes bigger than that in Alaska.

Heidie didn't feel it. I don't know if Renee did. Of course, they live a long way from the epicenter, even if the news did report that it was felt even north of Fairbanks.

~*~*~*~*~

I've been working on my rabbit surrounded by flowers and bugs needlepoint again. Maybe I'll have a finished object to show before too long. I've only been working on this one about 3 years, maybe 4. I'm getting it done a lot faster than I did my Arctic Wildlife cross stitch.

As soon as it's finished, I really need to think about finishing some of the other two dozen or so projects of various kinds I have started. But first things first. I'm in the mood for needlepoint right now. Strike while the iron is hot!

Which reminds me, I need to iron a couple of Mel's shirts....

~*~*~*~*~

Mel put the air conditioner in the window Monday. Oh sweet coolness! It's not working 100%, but seems to be working better than it did last year.

Today is a lot drier, not so much humidity, so the over 90 degree F temp is a bit easier to handle while outside. Still too hot for me, but much, much better than when the humidity is up.

~*~*~*~*~

We have a sad situation going on here with one of the pastors in another city leaving the ministry. He has, from what we understand from what he's written, renounced his faith in God.

This makes my heart weep.

I am reminded once again of Christ's words: "...when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?" Luke 18:8b

And:

"Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come. Matthew 24:9-14 (emphasis mine)

Yes, Jesus said that many will turn away from the faith. A young man we thought was standing firm, has turned away. And it breaks our hearts.

The love of many will grow cold - what a horrible thought.

Oh, how those words terrify me! My plea is always, 'Father, do not let me turn away from you! Help me to love you more and more!'

I believe in eternal security, once saved always saved, but I am also very aware of something else Jesus said: ""Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' Matthew 7:21-23

And Paul's words: Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. Philippians 2:12,13

I am so thankful for that last part of what Paul wrote - it is GOD who works in us to will and to act according to HIS good purpose.

I need to remember that.

If you pray, please pray for this young man and his family. We do not work directly with him and I do not have the freedom to give his name. God knows who you are praying for.

~*~*~*~*~

I did not sleep well last night and have had a sick stomach all day today. I feel 'droopy'. Is one of the Seven Dwarfs named Droopy? or was it Sleepy? I don't remember. I don't feel like a dwarf in a fairy tale, I just feel yucky. :)

~*~*~*~*~

We went shopping at the 'big Oskar' today. It's always nice to go there and push the cart around, even if the cart does want to go in every direction imaginable except straight ahead. I like the big city Safeway, Albertsons, King Soopers, or Piggly Wiggly feel of that particular Oskar.

However - still no almonds anywhere, or leeks, or avocados, or celery, or pine nuts, or peanut butter. But they did have two or three kinds of lettuce! I didn't buy any because I really don't care for it any more, really truly, but I did take note that it was there. As was fresh ginger. And the very last bag of hazelnuts I've seen anywhere. (I bought the last bag of cashews at one Oskar and the last bag of hazelnuts at another Oskar - maybe I should go to one of the two other Oskars in town and see if they have the last bag of almonds or pine nuts....) I keep thinking of things I didn't see. I hope they get leeks in again, and maybe celery, too. That would be nice. Maybe they are available at the outdoor market - but I really, really, really do not like shopping there in crowds of pushing and shoving people, and stinky fish and flies, and when it rains - puddles of water everywhere. The dogs and cats roaming all over don't bother me. The birds that live in and fly around in two of the Oskars don't bother me either - it's kind of nice to see them and hear them chirping - little European sparrows - so long as they don't sit above me. :) :)

~*~*~*~*~

After coming home from Oskar, we splurged and Mel went out into the hot again, over to a little produkti that is now nearby, and bought us some Poltava ice cream bars. Very similar to the Eskimo bars we bought as kids. My first ice cream of the summer. My lunch today. :)

~*~*~*~*~

Ok, all for now. I need to go lie down again.

No comments: