Street Market, Kiev, Ukraine, September 10, 2011

Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Written Conversation on facebook

So, I'm talking to this young woman I know on facebook tonight. We have had 3 conversations now and each time something she writes totally stumps me. She is studying medicine at a university and knows "ok" English when talking face to face. She doens't like to talk in English, but she will on occasion. However, she uses a computer translator while we talk via written word, instant messaging.

This is part of what I got tonight:
I do not love verbs in English...they as heavy as lead for my memorizing.....and biology...I like while....very interesting teacher and object.....I á never knew that from simple an infection can be very much many consequences, and at beremenykh...yet more

You banter....you navenoe does not present as the Russian students study....they initially learned went handed over a theme....and forgot at once


I'm stumped. I'm not sure exactly what this all meant, but it is an interesting conversation none-the-less. I wonder what my side sounds like in Russian when she runs it through the translator???

ahahahahahahaha!

1 comment:

ColoradoColumbine said...

Julia couldn't sign in, but she sent me an email:
I wanted to comment on your last post -- I think I can trace your correspondent's thought back into Russian and then translate them into English:

I do not love verbs in English...they as heavy as lead for my memorizing.....and biology...I like while....very interesting teacher and object.....I á never knew that from simple an infection can be very much many consequences, and at beremenykh...yet more

This is what I think she is saying:

... and I never knew that one can get so many serious complications from a simple infection, especially pregnant women

You banter....you navenoe does not present as the Russian students study....they initially learned went handed over a theme....and forgot at once

You are kidding! You probably have no idea how Russian students study -- they memorize the information, then go and take the test, and then forget it all as soon as it is over.

Thanks Julia!