Street Market, Kiev, Ukraine, September 10, 2011

Monday, November 09, 2009

Facebook Conversation

I recently became "friends" on facebook with another young Ukrainian woman that we've known for quite some time. She is studying in another city and since all of the schools and universities are closed, she is on-line a lot during the day.

A couple days ago she asked me what "coplete" means. I responded that it was misspelled and was probably either "complete" or "couplet" and what each of those words meant. She then wrote that a guy she knows wrote to her: "You coplete me."

Big humongous bright red flags sprouted up all over my computer. Well, at least in my mind they did.

Good grief. Are guys still using that old, worn out "Jerry McGuire" phrase?? I guess so!

I immediately responded something along these lines: Who is this guy? Be careful! Young men who say things like this just want to have sex with you.

The tone of her response was not happy - with me. She defended him and herself and their relationship and explained it to me in sketchy detail (she was writing in English - we are practicing English this way, you see, to help her with both comprehension and writing).

I prayed for her. There are so many guys out there preying on young woman via the internet. But she had actually met this guy while he was here. I won't go into detail due to privacy issues, but they had met in a legitimate way, not him coming here looking for girls. I still was quite concerned. I've thought about her and this guy (and all the other guys she may be corresponding with that I have no idea about) and I've prayed for her more than once.

This morning she contacted me again, while I was reading the news, and told me: Cindie, did u remember XX.

U told me about him truth

he really not serious with me

when I told WE just friend because other country. He told me of course we friends, but free love it`s really Ok for us

(I asked her)Are you feeling ok? I know it hurts.

I`m Ok

because I use my judgment


I pray for the girls here so very often. Many of them are quite beautiful and Ukraine has a bad reputation and is a target for these guys. Of course, some of the girls are no better than the men who prey on them - those girls are getting all they can from the guys who only want their bodies. But many of the girls who get caught up in this are truly only looking for friendship or real lasting love. We have seen it so often here and it makes me so angry every time it happens.

No comments: