Mel and I had doctor appointments two days ago. I had the usual Well Woman exam. While the doctor was palpitating (actually, it felt like he was kneading bread dough) my stomach, he hit a spot and I about went through the ceiling. Just below and under the edge of my right rib cage.
"Aha!" he said, in surprise. And did it again more thoroughly. Yep, it hurt even worse. Gall bladder area, he told me. "I wasn't expecting that" he again said in surprise.
We talked about all sorts of things - why I'm so tired, why I've gained more weight, why the mosquito bite on my leg keeps weeping every so often even though I got bit about 5 years ago (I told him I thought maybe it had been a radioactive mosquito since we live down stream from Chernobyl - I'm not sure he was amused, actually), what those strange bumps on both my arms are and are they cancerous (no, just "Wisdom Barnacles" - what a nice name for strange bumps), and a whole lot of other stuff.
He ordered up a lot of blood work, gave me a pneumonia vaccine and later the nurse came in to give me the PPD shot (to check for TB since I live most of the time in Eastern Europe).
He also said I needed an EKG because my blood pressure was high. No - it was not high, it was sky high. It was going out of the roof high. It was higher than Kara's got just before they took Eithnee early because her blood pressure was so high. So, I had an EKG. And the doctor told me that it looked good except for one thing. He said not to worry about a heart attack, but that the space between some of the points was not what it should be and that I needed to see a cardiologist to make sure everything was ok. This could be something I was born with, or it could be something I've had for years, or it could be something that is new and needs to be monitored.
He was also concerned that I might have sleep apnea.
So, now I have appointments with a cardiologist in early May, for an ultrasound on my abdomen tomorrow and sometime I'm supposed to get some kind of an in-home sleep oxygen study done. Plus, yesterday we got a voice mail telling us that the blood work results are in (wow! that was fast!) and I'm supposed to call the nurse "at my convenience". Last time we had blood work done, he just sent all the results to us in a letter with a couple prescriptions. I get to call the nurse in about 20 minutes, so I should find out soon. I'm concerned about my A1C number (diabetes??) and my hormone levels (menopause). Who knows what else she'll tell me.
I'm waiting. I woke up about an hour early after a mostly sleepless night. And I'm waiting for at least some answers.
I'm so glad God is sovereign.
No comments:
Post a Comment