Drove down to Penrose, turned right and drove on through Canon City. (pronounce that Canyon City and you've pronounced it correctly. I can't get the ~ over the n - don't know how unless I'm using a pen or pencil or marker or paintbrush or...you get the idea, I get the idea. Sorry - I'm really tired tonight. *grin*) We drove on through Canon west through Big Horn Sheep Canyon. Didn't see any big horn sheep, but we did see lots of fishermen fishing in the Arkansas River. And lots of rocks. And more rocks. Rocks in all sizes and shapes and many different colors. I love driving the River canyon. I could look at the scenery for days and never grow tired of it. Seriously.
The next morning we had to make a decision. Do we go west over Monarch Pass? Or do we go west by going south over Poncha Pass and turning west at Saguache? (pronounce that Sa-WATCH and you've pronounced it correctly. Looks like Sah-GUA-chi, but it's not. heh heh) Both Poncha and Monarch looked like they were totally covered in heavy snow clouds. Monarch is a lot higher than Poncha, so we decided to go south to go west. Glad we did because there was really no bad weather at all on Poncha Pass. None. However, when we checked later at a live webcam of the top of Monarch, it was a different story - snow, ice, cold, very bad weather. We drove on down to Saguache and I tried to take a bunch of photos of the very cool looking weather happening all around us.
Down the other side toward Gunnison but still in the windy narrow canyon part of the pass we stopped at a teeny little campground just off the highway to use the very nice outdoor toilets. It was so beautiful and mostly quiet and very alone there that I wanted to stay and sit at a table and look and look and listen and soak up the sun on my back and rest. Rest deep down inside where I am very tired right now.
We drove on to Gunnison and did another potty break. This time we stopped at a McDonalds to use the facilities. I went up to the door and uh-oh - a sign saying only customers could use the toilets. So, I decided I'd buy and ice cream cone AFTER using the facilities. I walked in right past the State Trooper who was talking to a guy sitting at a table ... and past a whole bunch of the Sons of Silence and their families (I kid you not - black leather was everywhere). I thought to myself, "Self, I am glad the trooper is here." After using the facilities, I went up to the counter, walking past all those guys and other people with them (the place was full, I don't think we could have sat down anywhere) thinking I was really glad the trooper was still there, talking, and looked at the menu board. I decided to order not just an ice cream cone, but also their fruit salad thing. Ordered, walked out just as the trooper did - he opened the door and I thanked him and walked out. Mel said later that he (the trooper) really looked Mel over when he (the trooper) backed out. Mel was just sitting in the car, waiting for me, but he saw it. People say Mel looks like a biker, but I don't see it......
We took off, drove on through Gunnison and past Blue Mesa Reservoir. Oh - it is SO BEAUTIFUL!!! I love that area!
We got in to Montrose and found the place where we were to stay. I'll have to write more about that tomorrow because right now, I need to go take a shower and get to bed. We have to leave very early (7:00 am) to get Mel to Cripple Creek to see if he has to sit for jury duty. I just want to stay here and write and write and write some more, but alas and alack, it is not possible. However - I'm planning to stay out in the car while he goes in to the court house. I'll read and write and do some of my new College Course that I'm taking and wait for him. Hopefully that is what will happen. We'll see.
No comments:
Post a Comment