Street Market, Kiev, Ukraine, September 10, 2011

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Clash of the Plaids

I finished another woven scarf several nights ago. Mel took it, along with the rest of the laundry, to the laundromat yesterday and washed and dried it.
I can't believe how soft it turned out, after being washed. I thought it was a bit too stiff before and was concerned that it might be uncomfortable to wear. Now, however, I think it's 'just right'.
The color in the photos (at least on my computer) are a bit too yellow. I used the 'sunset' mode on my camera. The other settings all came out with the pink totally washed out and the brown quite ugly. These are truer to the real color. I like it. I used Red Heart acrylic yarn in brown and Chocolate Cherry (or was that Chocolate Chip Cherry??)colorways.
And here is my granddaughter, modeling it for us, kind of behind that 6 legged horse toy. I just love the clash of the plaids (not!). :-)
I already have another scarf on the loom. Am trying another color pattern/plaid. I'm also working to get the edges more even. On this scarf above, one side is a bit looser than the other and it gives the scarf a slight bow or curve to one side. Very slight, but there. I seem to have this problem on everything and it's always on that side, so I'm not sure if it's the way I warp the loom, or the way I weave or what. I'll just keep working at it until I figure it out.

I really like weaving!

1 comment:

SD Sue said...

ooooh I LIKE your new bloggy look! it is awesome. and your scarf is wonderful. you really have the weaving skill. watch how you beat your weft when you weave. you may have more pressure on one side than the other when you beat. also, be sure that your weft yarn waves or slants from one side to the other before you beat it.
keep up the good work.