First, here is my current Finished Object:
After taking it off, I realized that both sides were way too loose. Fortunately, the way I wove this, I could grab hold of those warp threads and pull them taut. Took a bit longer than usual, but it worked. I also was not sure how to finish the ends. I need to find some different methods, which means I need to not be afraid to experiment. These scarves are truly experiments - teaching myself how to do different things on the loom. I am not an expert and should not expect perfection from myself. If I don't try, I won't learn...which means I really need to go throw a couple of these things in the washer and see what happens. I've been afraid to wash them here because I don't have a dryer. Hmmmm - be right back!
Ok, two scarves in the washer right now with a load of sheets. So, this is probably not how you are supposed to wash them, right? But this is probably how they are going to be washed later, so might as well see how they turn out!
Back to this FO scarf...
I am going to try this pattern again with a different color scheme. I'm also going to try it using two shuttles and weaving both sides at the same time (left side with one shuttle, right side with the other shuttle) while leaving the center threads alone for 5 or 6 rows again. Then I'll manipulate the center threads with my fingers and a pick-up stick and bring the right shuttle through them as before. We'll see how this turns out. I'm hoping it will give more substance to the edges. Also, I'll make sure those side warp threads are as tight as they need to be at the beginning!!
I like the overall look of this pattern. Therefore, I want to do at least one more scarf with it, that time not having any solid side at all - just another pattern repeat. Should make the scarf bow in and out as I go from pattern to plain weave to pattern again. We'll see. I won't know unless I try - right?
I also like the rainbow effect of this scarf. I had to use an orange that is much softer than the other yarn, though. In a way that is good because this orange is so bright. It would be overwhelming if it was as thick as the other yarn - I think. I'm also thinking of other ways to use the rainbow stripes because one side is so bright and the other is so dark. We'll see!
I have enough thoughts on scarves to last me at least 5 years.
hahahahaha!
Also, I've discovered something I can make with the loom waste. I'm weaving the longer pieces by tying them together and making little squares. I've got 12 done so far and 3 of those 12 woven together in a strip with a black 1/3rd size block inbetween each of them. I'm planning to do a few strips and then weave them together to make a very unusual woven blanket/afghan. I'm having fun with it - it's quick and I can work on it while talking on Skype or listening to a sermon here at my desk. I'll post photos of it when I get farther along. Each block is completely different because of the different lengths of yarn being tied together.
I don't have anything on the loom right now. Am taking a break for a few days to work on my embroidered blanket. I have decided that this is the best way for me not to get burned out by either one and end up with more unfinished objects - UFOs.
About 3 weeks ago I ordered some embroidery stuff via a well-known handcraft catalog in the States. I was pleased, while looking at their on-line catalog, to see that they now deliver to Ukraine! (Actually, I couldn't miss that fact - they had a nice little Ukrainian flag at the top of each page and a statement saying that they deliver to Ukraine now. :-) ). So, I bit the bullet and tried and experiment.
It used to be a lost cause to have stuff sent over here via postal service. Either the box would be opened and stuff missing, or it would never arrive at all, or you'd have to pay a large customs fee to get it out of "jail" at the post office here. But...we got a box from my parents ok (I think I wrote about that a couple weeks ago), so I thought I'd try again.
And it worked! About 10 or 11 days after they mailed it, there was a notice in our box that we needed to pick it up from OUR post office! Mel got the notice, went to the counter and by the time I arrived, he was already outside with it. I had been delayed while taking photos of some beautiful bushes in bloom that still had raindrops on some of the leaves: Here are two photos for your enjoyment! So, I may just order a few more things from this company in the future. I'm also going to see if one of the shoe catalog companies will mail to Ukraine. As it is now, when we need new shoes, we have them sent to my parents and then my parents send them on to us. (Mel wears a 15 and I wear a women's 12 - you just can't buy those sizes here!) That means double postage/shipping costs, so if a company will send them directly to us - voila! Only one shipping cost.
We'll see if that works. :-) :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment