I actually started this scarf about 6 weeks ago. I got about half done with it when I found out that I had a deadline on the cross-stitch blanket. So, I set it aside and worked on the blanket instead. As you can see, this is a much looser weave than most of the ones I've finished so far. I like it a lot better.
I decided to go ahead and do the Danish Medallions again. At least that's what I think they are called. I haven't looked them up in my book of patterns again. I also decided to start in the middle and end in the middle instead of on one side or the other.
How did I do that? Well, I used a piece of waste yarn on the right, from side to middle. Then I left a long black tail hanging out the middle and wove a little ball of black under the rest of the warp to the edge, set it aside and then picked up the verigated yarn. Four rows of verigated and then I started working the black ball from the left to the right, using a crochet hook to make the medallions. When I got to the far right side, and all the medallions were made, I cut the black long enough to thread it and weave it back to the center, using the waste yarn as a guide as to where it should go. Then I tied it in a little bow with the first end that was hanging there, just waiting for me!
It's actually a very easy 'stitch' to do - just time consuming. I take that back - making the medallion is not time consuming - weaving the tails in was! There were 4 tails at each stripe - two white, two verigated. I'm wondering how they will wear - will they come unwoven, or stay put? I'll probably never know. :) I like the back side of this, too. A lot.
Uh oh! What do I see there?? Another little end that needs to be woven in. :) I'll do that as soon as I post this. This poor project - I'm glad it survived. My loom stays on the table all the time unless someone is coming over for dinner. Then it gets shuttled (heh heh) back to the bedroom and left on the bed, with it's little box of extras, so we can use the table for a meal. Or at least make the room look a little better. Oh my. I'm laughing at myself. That poor thing was in and out of the bedroom numerous times over the past month and a half.
Then, when I started working on the scarf again Monday, it took me awhile to remember exactly how I'd been weaving it. Finally got the memory back (had to reboot my mind) and started working on it. Found it way tooooo fiddly and gave up. I worked on it off and on the rest of the day, then off and on yesterday. Finally got it off the loom tonight - somewhat in fear of what I was going to find when I held it up. I'd told Mel earlier today, "I don't like this scarf! I want to do something else!!!"
But you know what? I do like this scarf. A lot. I'm not sure I'll make another one like it any time soon, but I do like it. I've also learned my lesson for sure - the looser the weave, the nicer the scarf. More wearable.
So, I look at the scarves I have sitting over there, the ones with the tight weave and I wonder - what should I do with them? I think I might make some more just like them and then sew them together and make an afghan. That might be the best solution. And inbetween making those sections, I'll weave more loose scarves.
I'm feeling very ambitious tonight.
Must be the full moon shining in the window on me right now. At least it looks full. Full and absolutely georgous. Love it!!
No comments:
Post a Comment