Mel and I celebrated our 35th anniversary on June 26. Thirty-five years! Where has time gone? Didn't we just get married a few years ago? Aren't our kids still youngun's? Nope. And nope. Amazing.
So, what did we do? It was a Sunday. We stayed home from church (naughty us) and never got dressed the whole day. We lounged around in what we wear at home when no one's looking :) :), watched a couple movies, read some, I cross-stitched, Mel studied, we talked some and just relaxed. It was wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.
Our celebration of things like this has really changed. We take our time celebrating. Ha ha! Sometime during the next week we went out for dinner together, just we two. And another time during the week we went out for a walk in the park and had an Italian Gelato, sat on a bench
and just people watched for a very long time (note: this is a G rated blog, so I did not take photos of the R rated clothing that walked by),
commenting to each other about this and that,
but mostly in silence - until Vyechislav showed up.
Good, old Vyechislav. Sigh. He's retired from teaching English at a local institute, has attended our Bible studies and English classes from day one (started when CoMission was here), has attended church from day one and the delight of his whole life, I think, is to bug me. :) Actually, he claims to just want to encourage discussion but I have often thought that he is a dart from Satan. I could go on and on but will not do so at this time. Let's just say that our lazy afternoon was interupted by a half hour discussion based on the doctrines and arguements of the JW's. Finally he decided it was time to leave, picked up his briefcase and sauntered off. Mel and I just looked at each other and kind of smiled.
A few minutes later we stood up, walked over to the bus stop and took a marshrutka to the 'big bus stop' closest to our flat and walked home from there.
June 22 was our eldest son's birthday. Peter is now 33 years old.
Photo taken Nov 7, 2010 when we were home last year
Photo taken at Disneyland the end of December 2010.
Why was Peter at Disneyland at the end of December 2010, you might ask? Well, I'll tell you!
He went out to spend some time with this young lady, Rebekah, who goes by the name of Skarlet on the internet. They've been corresponding now for several months, maybe even a year or two - must be more than a year since we knew about her while we were in the States last year... (time does fly and my mind is getting older now, you know!)
Peter was, and still is, totally smitten. I am under the impression that Skarlet is, too, since they announced on facebook that they are now engaged. Please note that we have not yet received confirmation of this via email or phone calls or even handwritten letters. We apparently live in a totally new world where announcements like this are made on facebook instead of in the local newspapers, and mom and dad had better read facebook, too, or they may be late for the wedding! (Skarlet's blog photo) Peter went back out to California before his birthday and met Skarlet's family and, we are assuming, asked her to marry him. That is ALL the details we know. ALL. No date, no idea of plans, nothing.
Poor us!
hahahahaha! Actually, in some ways this does not surprise me at all, seeing that on the Myers-Briggs personality test I am a very high P and like to leave my options open until I must make a decision or choice. Maybe that is why I have not written to Peter yet, mama demanding all the details, right now, immediately, in my in-box. :) :)
I do need some sort of idea, however - hint, hint you two!!! Because I need to know what kind of things Skarlet likes. I do make things like the blanket for Ira, and although I know Disneyland is high on the list, I can't imagine making (or buying) a Sleeping Beauty, Goofy, Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse something or other for a newly married couple. For my grandchild, yes, but not for a wedding/newly married couple (whenever that is scheduled to happen!). So - I'm waiting, Peter and Skarlet. Waiting, waiting, waiting!
There is more to write, but for now, I think this post is long enough. That, and the fact that I really need to go eat some lunch before it's time to leave for prayer meeting.



No comments:
Post a Comment