Blanket started on January 1, 2011, Kiev, Ukraine - the day after we arrived back in Ukraine. Blanket finished on July 10, 2011, at 7:15pm, Kherson, Ukraine Yipeeeee!
I bought this with one person in mind - our dear "Ukrainian Daughter", Ira. For a wedding present after she and Yura were married, I embroidered (true embroidery with lots of different kinds of stitches used) a dresser scarf with butterflies. When I decided to make a blanket for her, I again chose the butterfly motif.
Butterflies suit Ira. She told me once, a long time ago, that she loved butterflies. I have not forgotten this fact. I don't know if she still loves butterflies, but she now has several more, or I should say, she will have several more when I give this to her.
Ira is leaving Ukraine as soon as she can. This fact makes my heart sad, but at the same time, I understand the reasons. My biggest concern was that I would not get this blanket finished before she left. Now, she's planning on coming back sometime in the near future for a short period of time. She's storing their things with family and friends until that time. But they are not planning on returning permanently, if possible. Whatever happens, I wanted her to at least see this before she leaves, finished and complete. She may store it here until she has a place wherever they end up. Or she may take it with her. I don't know and I don't really care either way. I'm giving her a photo of it, too, to take with her as a bookmark or something, as a reminder of it in case she leaves it here for now.
Why is this important to me? And ultimately to her, although she will never know the whole truth? Because this blanket is saturated in prayer. Prayer for her, for her husband, for her son, for other members of her family, for her church family as well - but not as much as for her, Ira herself. I tried to spend time every single time I worked on it specifically praying for her. So, no matter where the blanket ends up - the prayers have happened and will continue to have impact on her until the day she dies. That is the wonder of prayer - they have no expiration date! I won't stop praying for her, but I may not pray with such intensity as I start other projects or work on other projects bound for other people. I hope that every time she looks at it, or thinks of it, she will focus on her Heavenly Father.
2 comments:
Oh this is SO Beautiful! You did an excellent job and Ira will love it for sure. Send my love along with yours to Ira and her family. The Lakota word for butterfly is "Kimimila" (Kee Me Me La).
Thank you, Sue! I'll let her know about the Lakota word, too. She'll love it. :)
Post a Comment