What many people may not know is that the earth continues to have rather large earthquakes that are not being reported in the news, at least not the news I read.
The list include 7 days of earthquakes 2.5 and above (the 2.5 ones are all in the States, not from around the world or the list would be longer) and includes 254 quakes. What is unusual to me is that there are 12 (TWELVE) quakes listed that are 6.0 and above. In all the years I've been reading this page, this is the most that big that I remember seeing in one week. I'm sure it's happened before, probably after other big quakes (8 and above). I just don't remember it.
10/07 - 6.8 21:41:14 CELEBES SEA
10/07 - 7.6 22:03:16 VANUATU
10/07 - 7.3 23:13:49 VANUATU
10/07 - 7.8 22:18:26 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
10/08 - 6.6 02:12:39 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
10/08 - 6.5 08:34:38 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
10/08 - 6.8 08:28:49 VANUATU
10/08 - 6.2 21:16:12 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
10/12 - 6.0 03:15:47 MAURITIUS - REUNION REGION
10/12 - 6.4 09:37:17 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
10/13 - 6.2 05:37:22 FOX ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN ISLANDS
10/13 - 6.0 11:38:06 HALMAHERA, INDONESIA
(list from: USGS) Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days
What I have not listed are all of the dozens of 5.0-5.9 quakes, and all of the many quakes happening in the Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands. These 5.0-5.9 are all over the world, except Africa (this week), Australia (this week) and Antarctica - the point being that they are not just happening in one area of the world, like the Pacific Ring of Fire.
I keep telling my sister in Alaska - look out - Alaska's going to get a big one! It's said jokingly, she knows that, but with a serious note underneath, which she also knows. But that's part of living in Alaska - knowing that at any moment a 'big one' could occur.
And on to another subject that I love: the sun. We are still in a deep solar minimum. Cool! (literally and exclaimation-ly)
Current Stretch: 11 days
2009 total: 223 days (78%)
Since 2004: 734 days
Typical Solar Min: 485 days
Updated 12 Oct 2009
from: spaceweather.com
No comments:
Post a Comment