I started a new scarf last night. I had hoped that this would look more like yellow stars on a black background. Unfortunately, the predonimate color is yellow. :) :) Next time I do this pattern, I'll make the predominate color a little less - bright? Less - shocking? haha

What is new about this one is the pick-up stick I'm using. That stick gives me, in essence, another shed to use, which means I have more pattern options. Patterns that are made not with color differences, but with longer weft or warp floats. I like it.

I started out this morning by filling two shuttles with black yarn. I wove for a few minutes and I wasn't getting the effect I was hoping for. I suddenly realized that the
black yarn was creating the float/quasi star that I wanted, not the yellow. Fortunately I'd only woven about 10 lines of pattern. Unfortunately, I now have two shuttles worth of black yarn cut and rolled up into balls, instead of still in one long skein of yarn. Such is the learning curve. At least it is not ruined yarn! I'm not sure if I can buy yarn like this here.
I like using the stick. It is quite easy to manipulate and doesn't seem to slow my weaving speed at all. I like it! I'm looking forward to adding more sticks, or creating a non-rigid heddle thing (will have to look up the correct term for that!). Then I will be able to do even MORE patterns.
Probably a good thing I ordered almost $100 worth of yarn a couple weeks ago! Red Heart acrylic - not wool, just acrylic. Maybe someday when I have more confidence I'll try working with real wool yarn. I'll have to be picky about it, tho, because some wool yarns make me itch.
I love doing this! :-) :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment